You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘tata’ tag.
If there was a question whether DMVs across NC were denying drivers licenses to deferred action beneficiaries or not, ask no more. We woke up to clarification yesterday when this stance became official. The DMV has updated its website reflecting the Department of Transportation’s intolerance of immigrant youth.
Listed below are acceptable documents you can use as a non U.S. Citizen.
- I-551 Permanent Resident Card
- Machine Readable Immigrant visa
- I-766 Employment Authorization Card (must not reflect C33)
- Temporary I-551 stamp on I-94 or Passport
- I-327 Re-entry Permit with supporting immigration documentation
- I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
- I-20 accompanied by I-94
- DS-2019 accompanied by I-94
- I-571 Refugee Travel Document with supporting immigration documentation
- I-797 Notice of Action
- I-521L Authorization for Parole of an Alien into U.S. with supporting immigration documentation
- I-220B Order of supervision with supporting immigration documentation
The I-766 Employment Authorization Card (C33) is what is being issued to deferred action (DACA) receipients. Here the Department of Transportation / DMV specifically targets immigrant youth. They have claimed to media sources that the wording of legal presence vs legal status is confusing to them and they are unsure about the legality of issuing us drivers licenses. So they are seeking the opinion of Attorney General Roy Cooper and USCIS.
But why deny us licenses if all NCDOT needs is clarification from USCIS? And why now? It’s plain discriminatory! As we have pointed out before, deferred action has existed long before it was known as the directive from President Obama. Those who have been granted deferred action in the past and currently have no problem obtaining a license. But all of a sudden if you’re a DREAMer granted deferred action, you’re out of luck. Once again, we are used as political football. We cannot and will not remain silent!